Every week, in an attempt to figure whose headed up and who could be headed down, I’ll give my ranking of the Nationals major league roster.
1. Stephen Strasburg- Has been as good as advertised, making every 5th day a celebration.
2. Ryan Zimmerman- Just keeps plugging away and is probably the least appreciated star in baseball.
The Trade Chips
3. Adam Dunn- Even though his contracts up, we could get 2 major league ready players in this power deficient market.
4. Josh Willingham- I’d rather not see him traded, but with a year left until free agency he’s got a ton of value.
5. Matt Capps- He’s been great this year, but we have relievers.
They’re Worth More to Us Than to You
6. Livan Hernandez- 22nd in baseball in IP is the highest by any National by far. Trading him would kill the bullpen.
7. Pudge Rodriguez- He continues to hit, isn’t wearing down, and might be the best coach the team has.
Solid Young Roleplayers
8. Tyler Clippard- Already over 5o innings this year, might be skipped over by Storen if Capps is traded.
9. Drew Storen- I’d take him over Aaron Crow anytime.
10. Roger Bernadina- Will be the starter in RF or CF for years to come.
11. Mike Morse- When he’s not in the lineup I throw things.
12. Sean Burnett- Gets guys out and can pitch to either side.
13. Doug Slaten- Ditto.
14. Luis Atilano- Atleast he’s trying. Could be the long man.
Trade em if you can
15. Miguel Batista- Could help a contender as the long man.
16. Nyjer Morgan- Trade him, Bernadina goes to CF, Morse to RF.
17. Cristian Guzman- He’s replaceable and shouldn’t be back next year.
This is why we’re in last place
18. Ian Desmond- He’s stopped hitting, not a good combo with the 666 errors this year.
19. J.D. Martin- He throws strikes and does little else.
20. Alberto Gonzalez- Had the game of his life against Atlanta and has done little else.
21. Joel Peralta- Impressive so far but I’m going to have to see more.
22. Craig Stammen- Cut him.
23. Wil Nieves- Best skill- Owns a catchers mitt.
24. Willie Harris- Useless
Hurt or Minors
25. John Lannan- What the hell happened to him?
26. Scott Olson- Looks disturbing like Eminem.
27. Tyler Walker- Should be back soon.
28. Justin Maxwell- Has been passed by Bernadina/Morse.
29. Jason Marquis- A complete waste of money.
3o. Matt Chico- He could surprise in the 2nd half.
31. Jesse English- Repetitive with Burnett/Slaten around.
32. Carlos Maldonaldo- Norris is knocking on the AAA door.
33. Adam Kennedy- Guh.