Aug 25, 2014; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Washington Nationals starting pitcherTanner Roark
(57) throws a pitch during the second inning against the Philadelphia Phillies at Citizens Bank Park. Mandatory Credit: Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports
After last night’s 3-1 victory over the Mariners, the Nationals look to win their third game in a row and secure a series sweep against Seattle this afternoon at Safeco Field.
Tanner Roark (12-8, 2.81 ERA) gets the start for the Nationals as he looks continue his dominant season with another strong start. Roark was solid his last time out, allowing two runs on five hits over six innings.
More from Nationals News
- Latest DraftKings Sportsbook Promo Code in Maryland: Bet $5, Win $200 Guaranteed
- Nationals Claim Jeter Downs Off Waivers
- Washington Nationals Tuesday Q&A
- A Washington Nationals Christmas Wishlist
- Robots in Baseball? The Possibility of an Automated Ball/Strike System in the MLB
The Nationals’ right-hander has been great all summer and has allowed two runs or fewer in seven of his last 10 starts, compiling a 2.55 ERA over that span. Hopefully for the Nationals, Roark, who has never faced the Mariners in his career, will continue his recent stretch of dominance this afternoon against Seattle.
The Mariners will counter with Hisashi Iwakuma (12-6, 2.83 ERA), a right-hander whose numbers are almost identical to Roark’s. Although Iwakuma has been phenomenal for the Mariners this season, he struggled his last time out, allowing five runs on six hits in just 2 1/3 innings. The Mariners’ right-hander has never faced the Nationals in his career.
Prior to this afternoon’s game, the Nationals are 77-57 and lead the Braves by seven games in the NL East.
Here are the lineups for today’s game:
Washington Nationals @ Seattle Mariners, 4:10 P.M. ET
- CF: Denard Span
- 3B: Anthony Rendon
- DH: Jayson Werth
- 1B: Adam LaRoche
- SS: Ian Desmond
- LF: Bryce Harper
- C: Wilson Ramos
- 2B: Asdrubal Cabrera
- RF: Nate Schierholtz
- SP: Tanner Roark