We continue our look at the 2016 NL East by ranking the center fielders in the division
After looking at who were the top third basemen in the division on Monday, we continue our rankings today by looking at center field. Unlike third base, this is a position that has undergone a lot of changes over the course of this offseason.
Starting with the Washington Nationals, Denard Span is now in San Francisco, so the team traded for Ben Revere from the Toronto Blue Jays in exchange for Drew Storen. Revere is expected to be the opening day center fielder. Down in Philadelphia, Odubel Herrera had a good rookie season, but the team also signed former Cardinal Peter Bourjos for that position.
More from District on Deck
- Latest DraftKings Sportsbook Promo Code in Maryland: Bet $5, Win $200 Guaranteed
- Nationals Claim Jeter Downs Off Waivers
- Washington Nationals Minor League Spotlight: Robert Hassell III
- Washington Nationals Tuesday Q&A
- 3 Free Agents the Nationals Should Gamble On
The biggest surprise of the offseason at center field has to be in Atlanta. Even though the Braves are in rebuilding mode, they were able to acquire Ender Inciarte along with shortstop prospect Dansby Swanson from the Diamondbacks in the Shelby Miller trade during the Winter Meetings in Nashville.
More from Nationals History
- Washington Nationals: An Update on the Potential Sale of the Franchise
- Is Kevin Long the Best Hitting Coach in MLB?
- The Expanded MLB Postseason Has Been a Success
- Former Montreal Expos Draft Pick Tom Brady Retires After 22 Seasons
- Hello, Washington Nationals Fans. Glad To Be Here.
The two players who are constants in center field from the division last season would be Marcell Ozuna from the Miami Marlins, who did spend some time in the minor leagues last season and Yoenis Cespedes, who re-signed with the Mets. The Nationals were involved in the Cespedes sweepstakes, but he ultimately decided to re-sign with New York after a great second half.
So, let’s take a look at how I rank the center fielders in the division, starting with number five:
Next: Number Five